For 2013, the Audi S8 returns to the lineup, sporting a twin-turbo V8 and all the luxury features one could want in a flagship luxury performance sedan. The 2013 Audi S8 will bring added performance to Audi's flagship, the already sublime A8 luxury sedan.
After taking a few years off, Audi's big performance sedan returns stronger and quicker than ever. The 2013 Audi S8 features a twin-turbocharged V8, just like its S6 and S7 siblings. But in S8 trim, it makes considerably more power -- 520 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque. That's enough muscle to (according to Audi) allow the S8 sprint to 60 mph in a blindingly quick 3.9 seconds. At 19 mpg for combined city/highway driving, the S8 is also relatively frugal with fuel, considering its size and blistering performance.
Naturally, the S8 is not some one-dimensional brute. Polished road manners come via a sport-tuned air suspension (with three levels of damping and five driver-selectable modes) that provides a comfortable ride and sporty handling. As with the regular A8 on which the S8 is based, aluminum is used extensively throughout the car's structure -- only the B-pillars are made of high-strength steel. As a result, the S8 weighs about 4,600 pounds, which isn't bad for a full-size, all-wheel-drive luxury sedan loaded up with luxury and safety features.
As expected, the S8 offers traditional Audi ambience within, boasting tasteful combinations of colors, textures and accents. Pampering features in this land-locked Lear jet include front seats that both cool and massage their occupants. The cabin's serenity is assured via dual-pane side windows and active noise cancellation (which uses the audio system to emit inaudible frequencies that cancel out tire and wind noise). All the better to enjoy the available 19-speaker Bang & Olufsen audio system as it delivers 1,400 watts of enveloping sonic clarity.
A twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 with 520 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque powers the S8. Managing all this power are an eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.
Audi claims the S8 can sprint from zero to 60 mph 3.9 seconds, which is even quicker than the company's speedy R8 exotic sports car. Equally impressive is the fact that this engine is 16 percent more powerful than the engine it replaces even as it delivers a peak improvement in fuel efficiency of 27 percent. Thanks to a very refined example of cylinder deactivation technology, the S8 is capable of 15 mpg city/26 mpg highway and 19 mpg combined.
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Top Front View View Photo 1 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 View Engine View Photo 2 of 25
- 2013 Audi S View Photo 3 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Front And Side View View Photo 4 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Rear View View Photo 5 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Side View View Photo 6 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Rear And Side View View Photo 7 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Side And Rear View View Photo 8 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior Seats Rear View Photo 9 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Test Drive Front View View Photo 10 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior View Instrument Cluster View Photo 11 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior View Speedometer View Photo 12 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior View Driver Cockpit And Dash View Photo 13 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior View Gear Shift Knob View Photo 14 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior Driver Steering And Dash View Photo 15 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Interior View Dashboard View Photo 16 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior View Wheel Velg View Photo 17 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior View Grille View Photo 18 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior View Headlight View Photo 19 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Grey Metallic View Photo 20 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior View Front Badge View Photo 21 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior Side And Front View Photo 22 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior Side View Photo 23 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior Front And Side View Photo 24 of 25
- 2013 Audi S8 Exterior Rear View Photo 25 of 25