2013 Scion FR-S was launched by the manufacturer Scion. Scion FR-S is the fifth generation to join the Scion family and go on sale in spring 2012. Scion FR-S comes with a compact sports car concept. Optimal and efficient performance.
When the Scion brand debuted in 2002, its mission was to appeal to young buyers with stylish cars boasting affordable pricing, abundant customization options and the promise of reliability backed up by the reputation of Toyota, its parent company. Largely missing from that mix, however, has been performance. Now, a decade later, all the right elements have been combined for the all-new 2013 Scion FR-S.
Co-developed with Subaru (which makes the twin of the FR-S, the Subaru BRZ), the FR-S ups the performance ante considerably above the Scion tC, the next sportiest car in the Scion family. The FR-S is powered by a 2.0-liter flat-4 ("boxer") engine that sends 200 horsepower to the rear wheels through either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. That's not a lot of power for a sporty car nowadays, and suitably, acceleration is merely acceptable. Yet, the FR-S's light weight, compact dimensions, low center of gravity, sublime steering and beautifully balanced chassis add up to enough fun that you won't mind when a Mustang V6 pulls away from you at a traffic light.
The FR-S cockpit is all business. Frivolous gee-whiz features -- such as Scion's typical flashy instrument displays and adjustable mood lighting -- are nowhere to be found. Instead, the driver faces an array of instruments dominated by a large tachometer, while both front occupants are held fast by aggressively bolstered sport seats. Of course, don't expect a large measure of multipurpose practicality from the compact coupe, as the rear seat and trunk are diminutive.
Scion FR-S interior offers 2 +2 seating configuration designed with both form and function in mind. Front seat mounted very low and comfortable but firm, while the rear seat folds down flat, creating a flexible space. Large center-mounted tachometer is the focus of a three-gauge cluster, keeping the driver information about the engine's vitals. Speed is monitored by both digital and analog gauges.
Scion FR-S comes with a fierce body concept. hood and roof-lines are very sleek and low, giving a clean aerodynamic shape to the upper airways. Low attitude continues to exaggerate the threatening face of the coupe, which consist of sharp lines, a wide mouth and lighting angles. Aggressive front fenders protruding upward and boast iconic symbol of the piston '86 ', which highlights the legacy of AE86 cars and new unique boxer engine. Rear fascia sits low and wide, with a lower aerodynamic treatments that surround the sporty dual exhaust system. LED taillights illuminate the tension, while the center-mounted backup lights completed the design of muscles.
The 2013 Scion FR-S comes in two trim levels: base and 10 Series. Standard equipment includes 17-inch alloy wheels, air-conditioning, full power accessories, a height-adjustable driver seat, a tilt-and-telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel, cruise control, Bluetooth (with streaming audio) and a Pioneer eight-speaker sound system with a CD player, HD radio, RCA output jacks, an auxiliary audio jack and USB/iPod integration.
The 10 Series further adds xenon headlights, front LED running lights, illuminated exterior badges, dual-zone automatic climate control, a frameless rearview mirror, an electroluminescent dashboard (it lights up with the word "Scion" when a door is opened), a 6.1-inch touchscreen sound system display and a solar-powered illuminated shift knob (automatic transmission only).
In keeping with Scion's marketing philosophy, in lieu of factory options there are a number of dealer-installed accessories that include foglights, a premium BeSpoke sound system (with touchscreen display and smartphone app integration) and various suspension and engine performance parts.
2013 Scion FR-S engine with a compact size and flat shape allows it to be installed mid-ship and is very low, giving the car the ratio of front-to-rear weight 53:47 favorable dynamic and low center of gravity compared to some exotic supercars.
Under the FR-S's sleek hood is a 2.0-liter horizontally opposed "boxer" four-cylinder engine that makes 200 hp and 151 pound-feet of torque. Power is sent to the rear wheels through either a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters and rev-matched downshifts. A traction-enhancing mechanical limited-slip differential is standard and rather rare in this segment.
At the test track, a manual-equipped FR-S sprinted to 60 mph from a standstill in 6.5 seconds: fairly quick, if not as speedy as more powerful but heavier sport coupes. Testing of an automatic-equipped BRZ yielded a slower time of 7.9 seconds.
Fuel economy estimates are quite good and stand at 22 mpg city/30 mpg highway and 25 mpg combined for the manual and 25/34/28 for the automatic.
Scion FR-S choose the 2.0-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine is the result of joint development between Toyota - Subaru. This partnership began with the machine incorporates a newly developed Subaru horizontally opposed and cut the tip of the Toyota D-4S injection system that combines direct injection and port. D-4S system, partnered with a high 12.5:1 compression ratio, producing an impressive 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque.
Scion has made few concessions to style for the FR-S's simple, businesslike cabin that blends Toyota and Subaru switchgear and materials. It's an environment that puts an emphasis on driving. Frankly, it will feel a bit spartan compared to some other sporty cars in its price range like the VW GTI, but then this is supposed to be a back-to-basics sort of driver's car.
In true Scion form, the base audio system is anything but basic, however, as it comes with a full assortment of media types and controls. It's also much easier to use than the frustrating touchscreen unit found in its Subaru BRZ twin, although Scion does not offer the Subie's navigation system and some other features.
The FR-S's front seats are supportive enough for hard driving, yet still comfortable for long-distance trips as well. People of just about any size should find the driving position to be quite agreeable, and thanks to the low-profile hood, there's an expansive view of the road ahead.
There's a backseat, too, but few humans are likely to want to sit back there. Legroom is next to nil, your head will be perilously close to the rear glass (or entirely pressed against it) and the center tunnel impedes hiproom. Trunk space is also rather small at 6.9 cubic feet, but folding down that mostly useless backseat expands cargo-carrying abilities considerably.
If you're the sort of driver whose car must be able to hammer down freeway on-ramps with its tires ablaze, the 2013 Scion FR-S is not for you. Its power is sufficient and nothing more. Instead, the FR-S is for those who get a thrill from going around corners and feeling all the nuances and inputs that go along with a car that offers phenomenal communication and impeccable control.
Its limits are approachable and easily controlled, which makes for a wonderfully engaging sports car. The brakes don't fade, the manual gearbox is a pleasure to shift and the chassis remains composed even when the road surface doesn't. The steering imparts the front tires' grip status precisely to the driver's hands, and even the available automatic transmission is programmed for enthusiastic driving.
Away from twisty roads and used for more mundane moments -- say, on the way to work or on a road trip -- this Scion is still rewarding. It's surprisingly easy to drive and the ride is sufficiently well damped. However, there is a fair amount of road noise that is especially evident on concrete-surfaced freeways.
- 2013 Scion FR S Back Seat View Photo 1 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Behind View Photo 2 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Front Seat View Photo 3 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Feature View Photo 4 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Engine View Photo 5 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Front View Photo 6 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Left Side View Photo 7 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Rear Angle View Photo 8 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Trunk View Photo 9 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S View Photo 10 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Taillamp View Photo 11 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Taillight View Photo 12 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Badge View Photo 13 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Rear Emblem View Photo 14 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Headlight View Photo 15 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Rear Bumper View Photo 16 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Wheel Velg View Photo 17 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior View Photo 18 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior Front View Photo 19 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior Rear And Side View Photo 20 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior Side And Rear View Photo 21 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior Rear View Photo 22 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Exterior Front And Side View Photo 23 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Driver Steering View Photo 24 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Seats Front View Photo 25 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Seats Rear View Photo 26 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Front View View Photo 27 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Seats Driver View Photo 28 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Front Corner View Photo 29 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Silver Metallic View Photo 30 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Front Profile View Photo 31 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Front Profile View Photo 32 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Silver Metallic Front View View Photo 33 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Front And Side View View Photo 34 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Rear And Side View View Photo 35 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Performance View Photo 36 of 47
- Scion FR S View Photo 37 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Silver Metallic Top Front View View Photo 38 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Side And Front View View Photo 39 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Test Drive Side View View Photo 40 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Steering And Speedometer View Photo 41 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Silver Metallic Front And Side View View Photo 42 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Silver Metallic Side View View Photo 43 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Seats Front Headrest View Photo 44 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior View Gear Shift Knob View Photo 45 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior Seats Front Driver View Photo 46 of 47
- 2013 Scion FR S Interior View Center Console View Photo 47 of 47
Tags: #used 2013 scion frs #scion tc 2013 horsepower #2013 scion tc body kit #2013 scion fr s turbo kit #2013 scion tc for sale #2013 scion fr-s #2013 scion tc cold air intake #2013 scion frs interior #2013 scion xb accessories #2013 scion tc performance parts #2013 scion fr s specs #2013 scion tc release series 8.0 #2013 scion xb review #scion tc 2013 price #FR-S #2013 scion xd #2013 frs scion #2013 scion frs 10 series #2013 scion xb mpg #scion frs 2013 used #scion tc 2013 mods #scion frs used 2013 #2013 scion fr-s mpg #2013 scion frs turbo kit #scion tc 2013 specs #2013 scion tc upgrades #scion 2013 tc #2013 scion tc rs 8.0 #frs scion 2013 #2013 scion fr-s 0-60 #2013 scion tc parts #2013 scion tc hp #2013 scion fr-s interior #2013 scion fr s review #2013 scion frs price #2013 scion tc specs #2013 scion tc horsepower #2013 scion iq #2013 scion tc spoiler #2013 scion frs mpg #2013 scion fr s price #scion tc 2013 #toyota scion 2013 #2013 toyota scion #scion xb 2013 #2013 scion coupe #2013 scion frs #2013 scion tc intake #2013 scion fr-s 10 series #scion iq 2013 #2013 scion tc headlights #2013 scion tc rims #2013 scion tc price #2013 scion xb 10 series #2013 scion #scion xd 2013 price #scion 2013 frs #2013 scion frs specs #2013 scion tc interior #2013 scion tc rear bumper #2013 scion xd accessories #scion frs 2013 #scion fr s 2013 #2013 scion fr s horsepower #toyota scion frs 2013 #2013 toyota scion tc #2013 scion frs 0 60 #2013 scion tc accessories #2013 scion tc mpg #scion frs 2013 specs #2013 scion xd price #scion tc 2013 exhaust #2013 scion frs hp #scion xd 2013 #2013 scion tc turbo kit #2013 scion tc exhaust #FR #2013 scion frs horsepower #2013 scion fr s turbo #2013 scion tc #2013 scion frs review #2013 scion xa #scion frs 2013 price #scion frs 2013 mpg #2013 scion tc review #2013 scion xb #2013 scion tc black rims #scion 2013 #2013 scion tc mods