The 2013 Audi RS 5 is a high-performance version of the already impressive A5 and S5 coupe and convertible. It's been sold overseas for a few years but is new to the United States.
There's no doubt that it's pretty great living in the ol' U.S. of A. But every now and then, we get snubbed by overseas automakers that, for whatever reason, don't import certain lust-worthy vehicles stateside.
For two years, car enthusiasts have had to look longingly toward Europe for the Audi RS 5, the sharpest interpretation of an already admirable luxury sport coupe. We've been fans of the Audi A5 for quite some time, and even more enthusiastic about the sportier S5 variant. Finally, with the 2013 Audi RS 5, we can say we're positively thrilled.
With a 4.2-liter V8 producing a 450-horsepower wallop, the thrills are all but guaranteed. Furthermore, all of that power is put to good use in a well-balanced chassis that also boasts the efficiency and confidence of all-wheel drive. All of this allows the RS 5 coupe to sprint to 60 mph in a scant 4.3 seconds (the heavier convertible is a bit slower) and corner like a true sports car, putting it on par with some heady competitors.
As an added bonus, this performance is paired with all the benefits of the supporting Audi models. From the outside, the RS 5 keeps the A5 and S5's sleek shape, with some aggressive accents to emphasize its potential for speed, while the cabin maintains the brand's tastefully understated interior design. To top it all off, there are plenty of cutting-edge features that should please any technophile.
The 2013 Audi RS 5 is the top performance version of the A5 coupe and convertible (Cabriolet). It comes in one well-appointed trim level.
Standard features include 19-inch wheels with summer tires, adaptive xenon headlights, LED running lights, a speed-activated rear spoiler, a panoramic sunroof, auto-dimming and heated mirrors, front and rear parking sensors, keyless ignition/entry, tri-zone automatic climate control, 12-way power front sport seats (with four-way lumbar adjustment), driver memory functions, heated front seats, leather upholstery, carbon-fiber interior trim, split-folding rear seats, Bluetooth and a 10-speaker sound system with a CD player, satellite radio and iPod integration.
Adding the optional MMI Navigation package gets you a navigation system with voice activation, Audi's MMI infotainment interface mounted on the console, a rearview camera, Bluetooth streaming audio, Audi Connect (enhanced Web-based navigation, information and WiFi access) and a premium 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system with HD radio. To that, the Driver Assist package can be added, which includes adaptive cruise control, a blind spot monitoring system and adaptive steering. The Titanium package adds 20-inch wheels, dark exterior trim and body-colored mirrors.
Stand-alone options include 20-inch wheels, ceramic front brakes, leather/faux suede front seats, sport exhaust, a power rear sunshade and aluminum interior trim.
Powering the 2013 Audi RS 5 is a 4.2-liter V8 engine that produces 450 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque. Power is routed to all four wheels through a seven-speed automated dual-clutch manual transmission with shift paddles. The RS 5's EPA-estimated fuel economy stands at 16 mpg city/23 mpg highway and 18 mpg in combined driving.
In Edmunds performance testing, the Audi RS 5 coupe made the sprint from zero to 60 mph in a quick 4.3 seconds, which is on equal footing with other cars in this class.
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior Seats Leather Details View Photo 1 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior View Center Consol Controls View Photo 2 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior View Gear Shift Knob View Photo 3 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 View Engine View Photo 4 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior View Driver Steering View Photo 5 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior Dashboard View Photo 6 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior Driver Cockpit And Dash View Photo 7 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior View Center Headunit Screen View Photo 8 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Interior View Photo 9 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Rear Badge View Photo 10 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Rear Bumper View Photo 11 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Rear Wing Spoiler View Photo 12 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Front Badge And Grille View Photo 13 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Headlamp View Photo 14 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Headlight View Photo 15 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Grille View Photo 16 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Wheel View Photo 17 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior Front End View Photo 18 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior Side View Photo 19 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior Front View Photo 20 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior Rear And Side View Photo 21 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior Color Red Metallic View Photo 22 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior Front And Side View Photo 23 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Exterior View Photo 24 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Test Drive Top Side View View Photo 25 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Test Drive Rear And Side View View Photo 26 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Test Drive Side View View Photo 27 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs View Photo 28 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Test Drive Performance View Photo 29 of 41
- 2013 Audi Rs 5 Test Drive Front View View Photo 30 of 41