The 2012 BMW 6 Series has been fully redesigned. Highlights for the coupe and convertible include sharper looks, larger wheels and a pair of turbocharged engines.
With classier styling and significantly more low-end power, the 2012 BMW 6 Series continues its evolution as a world-class grand touring coupe and convertible.
With this year's full redesign, the 2012 BMW 6 Series largely shakes off the Bangle legacy looking a little longer, wider, shorter and sharper. The larger dimensions are attributed to a new aluminum-intensive rear-wheel-drive architecture that BMW says is 50 percent stiffer than its predecessor.
And the chassis needs that extra rigidity given the engines underhood. The old V8 wasn't exactly a slouch, but its acceleration is now matched by the more fuel-efficient turbocharged six-cylinder found in the new 640i model. For those wanting even more, the new V8 in the 650i will definitely get the job done. Slightly smaller than its predecessor, the twin-turbo 4.4-liter makes more horsepower and nearly 100 pound-feet more low-end torque. It makes for a 650i that accelerates to 60 mph just a few tenths shy of the former V10-powered M6.
Inside, the 6 Series has a beautifully sculpted cabin with a more driver-focused dashboard than that of the old model. Along with the new 10.2-inch navigation display, it's clearly evident through the attention to detail lavished on the instruments, controls and overall design that BMW has taken a good deal more time developing the interior than it did with its predecessor. As for the convertible, it continues to feature the clever rear window that's separate from the folding top and can be lowered to allow the breeze in while still keeping the sun off.
The 2012 BMW 6 Series is available in 640i and 650i trim levels, both of which can be had as a coupe or a convertible.
Standard equipment on the 640i includes 18-inch wheels, an adaptive suspension, automatic and adaptive xenon headlights, LED foglights, automatic wipers, parking sensors, power-folding mirrors, a large tilt-only sunroof, keyless ignition/entry, 10-way power front seats with four-way lumbar adjustments and memory functions, leather upholstery, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, auto-dimming mirrors, dual-zone automatic climate control, cruise control and a rearview camera. Electronic features include Bluetooth, a nine-speaker sound system (with a CD player, HD radio and an auxiliary audio jack), a navigation system, voice controls and the iDrive electronics interface. The convertible has a power soft top with a glass rear window that can be raised and lowered independently, along with heat-reflective leather upholstery.
The 650i differs with a V8 engine, 19-inch alloy wheels and 16-way comfort seats. The latter two items are available on the 640i.
The 2012 BMW 640i is powered by a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 that produces 315 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque. Rear-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission are standard, along with an automatic start/stop system that shuts down the engine when stopped to save fuel. BMW estimates that the 640i will go from zero to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds -- quicker than the old V8-powered 6 Series.
The 2012 BMW 650i is powered by a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 generating 400 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque. Rear-wheel drive is standard, but "xDrive" all-wheel drive is optional. An eight-speed automatic transmission with manual shift control is standard, and a six-speed manual is optional on rear-drive cars. The start/stop feature is not included. In Edmunds performance testing, a manual-equipped 650i coupe went from zero to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. Interestingly, we timed a heavier automatic-equipped 650i convertible from zero to 60 mph in a quicker 4.9 seconds. EPA-estimated fuel economy for an automatic-equipped convertible stands at 16 mpg city/24 mpg highway and 19 mpg combined.
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible View Engine View Photo 1 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible View Photo 2 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Test Drive Front And Side View View Photo 3 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Test Drive Side And Rear View View Photo 4 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Interior View Photo 5 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Red Metallic View Photo 6 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Test Drive Rear And Side View View Photo 7 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Interior Driver Cockpit Steering And Dash View Photo 8 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Interior View Gear Shift Knob And Center Console View Photo 9 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior View Wheel Velg View Photo 10 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Interior Dashboard View Photo 11 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior View Headlight View Photo 12 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior Side And Rear View Photo 13 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior View Rear Badge Emblem View Photo 14 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior View Taillight View Photo 15 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior Rear View Photo 16 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior Front And Side View Photo 17 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior Front View Photo 18 of 19
- 2012 Bmw 650i Convertible Exterior Rear And Side View Photo 19 of 19