You wouldn't even know the Volvo V60 Polestar is a thing just by hearing the name. This ride is so low-key, it's like it's got social anxiety or something.
Seriously though, you could look at the 2017 V60 Polestar and not even realize what you're seeing. Basically, it's a wagon that's on the smaller side of mid-size and it costs about $62,595. The folks over at Volvo's tuning division, Polestar, gave it a performance upgrade. But even if you're a car expert, you might miss the special wheels, performance tires, and little blue badge on the grill. The V60 Polestar is all about being understated, which is why we love it so much (even though our test car had this dope Rebel Blue paint job).
So you know the Polestar? Yeah, that bad boy is super rare, Volvo only makes 750 of them sedans and wagons every year since 2015. The original wagon and sedan had 345 horsepower from a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six that drove all four wheels, but for 2017 Volvo decided to switch things up. They chucked that engine and the old six-speed automatic transaxle for a 362-hp turbo- and supercharged 2.0-liter inline-four and an eight-speed automatic. But if you're thinking that's not enough power for the price, that's why Volvo isn't bringing many of these Polestars to America.
The 2017 model also has some other changes like new wheels, brake rotors, all-wheel-drive system, and steering, but the new engine is the real star. We never tested the old engine but we did test the S60 sedan version and the new V60 is even quicker. It hits 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds and the quarter-mile marker in 13 seconds flat, which is pretty impressive considering it's 80 pounds heavier than the 2015 S60.
So, basically, this new V60 Polestar is faster, smoother, and more powerful than ever before. It's like a race car that you can use for your everyday driving needs. The turbocharged and supercharged T6 engine with the new 8-speed gearbox is equivalent to six and eight-cylinder powerhouses. And with 347 lb. ft. torque @3100-5100 rpm, this baby will get you up to speed without even breaking a sweat.
The new engine in the XC90 SUV and 90-series sedan and wagon is sick. Polestar hooked it up with an extra 46 horsepower and 52 lb-ft of torque, so you know it's got some serious power. The supercharger kicks in at low rpm for instant torque and a little blower whine. Then, when you hit the midrange and higher rpm, the turbocharger takes over with a faint whistle. Combined, these forces make the four-cylinder way more responsive than the old inline-six, with some serious midrange punch.
Part of the reason for this newfound power is the eight-speed automatic transmission, which is way better than the old six-speed. When you shift to Sport mode, the exhaust note gets deeper, the steering gets tighter, and the transmission gets more aggressive. It even downshifts automatically when you brake into a corner. And if you want to shift manually, the tiny shift paddles or the shift lever will do the trick with quick up- and downshifts.
But here's the real kicker - the V60 Polestar is a performance wagon that can hang with the big boys. It's inspired by 20 years of motorsport experience, so you know it's legit. The exterior is carefully designed for high-speed stability, with front splitters and a rear spoiler and diffusor. And it comes in four dope colors. Whether you're tearing up the track or cruising down the highway, the V60 Polestar is built for drivability and control in any condition.
Check out this sick ride - the V60 Polestar! It's like a performance car that's been fine-tuned for your everyday driving needs. They've put so much work into every component to make sure you have maximum control and a thrilling ride in any conditions. These guys have been racing and exploring the limits of Volvo cars for almost two decades, and they've teamed up with Polestar's engineers to create a car that's perfect for real life. The chassis is strong and responsive, and they've made sure everything from the engine to the suspension is perfectly balanced. You can take this baby on any road and in any weather.
So, the Polestar has these fancy Öhlins dampers that make sure you don't feel every bump in the road, but you still get that sporty feel when you're driving. It handles corners like a boss and has crazy grip - we couldn't even measure how much lateral acceleration it had on a snowy skidpad. They've even adjusted the all-wheel drive so you get more torque to the rear axle, which means you can really stomp on the gas and feel the power. The only downside is that it can understeer a bit in tighter bends, but as long as you're on the throttle, you're good.
Now, let's talk about the engine. It's turbo- and supercharged, which is pretty cool, but it doesn't quite have that BMW-like sound that the old inline-six had. It's more like an angry vacuum cleaner, but hey, it still gets the job done. Volvo did make some other adjustments though, like making the all-wheel drive quicker and giving you more road feel through the steering. But honestly, the best way to really understand this car is to take it for a spin yourself.
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Blue Metallic View Photo 1 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Front And Side View Photo 2 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Rear And Side View View Photo 3 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Rear And Side View Photo 4 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive View Photo 5 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Side And Rear View View Photo 6 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Side View View Photo 7 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior Blue Metallic View Photo 8 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior Front View Photo 9 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Side And Rear View Photo 10 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Test Drive Rear And Side Preview View Photo 11 of 53
- Volvo V60 Polestar View Photo 12 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior Rear And Side View Photo 13 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior Rear View Photo 14 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Grille And Bumper View Photo 15 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Grille And Badge View Photo 16 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Headlight And Bumper View Photo 17 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Grille View Photo 18 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Headlight View Photo 19 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Wheel Trim View Photo 20 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Wheel Velg View Photo 21 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Side Mirror View Photo 22 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Taillamp View Photo 23 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Taillight View Photo 24 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Exhaust Pipe View Photo 25 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Exterior View Rear Emblem View Photo 26 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar View Engine View Photo 27 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Interior View Cargo Seats Folded View Photo 28 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Interior View Cupholders View Photo 29 of 53
- 2017 Volvo V60 Polestar Interior View Cargo View Photo 30 of 53